Saturday, March 15, 2014

Cheese-Its!

It seems like everywhere we go we see someone eating Goldfish or Cheez-It crackers (we see a lot of kids the places we go to, clearly!).  The issue, I don't buy them for the girls but they LOVE them when someone is willing to share.  Goldfish actually have a hidden form of MSG in them and since cleaning up our diets about 2 years ago I stopped buying them completely.  I don't mind if someone shares with them but I just won't purchase them for us.

When I saw a pin on Pinterest for homemade Cheez-Its I knew it would be a hit at our house!

I wish I could find the original link to this recipe.  We did make a few adjustments from the original, I did replace the shortening with coconut oil and switched up the cheeses by using sharp white cheddar and regular sharp cheddar.



Cheese-Its

Ingredients:
2 ounces of sharp white cheddar
6 ounces of sharp cheddar
3 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of white whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons of cold water

Directions:
Put cheese into food processor (we cut ours up into large chunks) and pulse a few times to break up the cheese.
Add butter, oil and salt and pulse again to incorporate.
Add flour and water and mix until smooth.
Divide the dough into 2 discs and wrap each in plastic wrap.
Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll the dough so it's about 1/8th an inch thick.
Cut into squares or you can use a cookie cutter to make fun shapes.
Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Bake between 10-15 minutes, for us 12 minutes was perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment