Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Alfredo Whole Wheat Pasta with Mushrooms

In an effort to clean up our diet a little I usually serve whole wheat pasta.  I usually get some sort of complaint that it tastes "healthy" but not this time!

Well, using heavy cream isn't exactly "healthy" but at least it's whole wheat pasta, right?

I adapted the Alfredo Sauce Recipe from Allrecipes.com

These are the cheeses I used.  I bought aged asiago cheese and parmesan cheese.  In order to shred them I cut both cheeses into cubes and tossed them into my food processor.  I used the "pulse" function on the food processor until there were no more chunks of cheese left, only small shredded pieces.



Alfredo Whole Wheat Pasta with Mushrooms


Ingredients:
13 ounces of whole wheat pasta
1/4 cup of butter
1 cup of heavy cream
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 cup of shredded asiago cheese
1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups of slices baby bella mushrooms
1 tablespoon of olive oil

Directions:
1. Cook pasta per packaged directions.
2. In separate pan heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 clove of garlic over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in mushrooms and sauteed until cooked, about 5 minutes.
4. In a small pot melt butter over medium-low heat.
5. Add cream and simmer 5 minutes.
6. Add garlic and cheeses and whisk until cheese is melted and alfredo sauce is smooth.
7. Combine cooked pasta, mushrooms and alfredo sauce and stir well to evenly coat.




1 comment: